I absolutely love the holiday season. I love NYC during the holidays. My favorite holiday tradition growing up was decorating the Chanukah piano. My sister and I weren’t allowed to have a Christmas tree growing up (which makes sense since we are Jewish). One year we surprised our parents by decorating the grand piano in the living room with tinsel and white lights. We carefully arranged all of the presents and holiday cards we had received on the piano. After that, the tradition stuck. Every year we would light the menorah and sing prayers around the Chanukah piano. We were resourceful and creative at a young age! My sister’s birthday is Christmas day so my family has a Christmas day tradition. My sister, my Mom and I go to the spa in the afternoon before meeting my dad for dinner and a movie (yes, we sometimes fit the stereotype of eating Chinese food and seeing a movie.) My other favorite holiday tradition is going to my best friend from high school (and current roommate)’s house for Christmas Eve and Christmas morning. Her dad always makes the best meal and we stay up late talking, wrapping gifts, and watching holiday movies like The Holiday, Elf, and Love Actually. We wake up early and unwrap presents with her family then I take the train home to celebrate my sister’s birthday. I feel really fortunate to have two great families to celebrate the holidays with every year.
Here are some creative DIY ways to wrap gifts (these work for the holiday season and year round):
Image adapted from a post by Ashley Brooke
1. DIY Chalkboard Gift Wrap:
via New Wonderful Photos
2. DIY Large Print Photo Wrapping Paper:
via A Subtle Revelry
3. DIY Newspaper Gift Wrap:
4. DIY Painted Wrapping Paper:
5. DIY Watercolor Gift Wrap:
6. DIY Map Gift Wrap: I love the idea of using maps of where you met the person, where you live, or subway maps!
7. DIY Vintage Stamp Gift Wrap: “Brown paper packages tied up with string…”
via Bugs and Fishes
8. Typography Gift Wrap: You can even use paper of things that matter to the person i.e. sheet music, Lilly Pulitzer prints, recipes…
via Bugs and Fishes
9. DIY Wrapping Paper Using Stencils and Twine: EASY!
10. DIY Gift Wrap Made By Repurposing a Kid’s Art: Because there is only so much room on your fridge…
11. DIY Instagram Gift Wrap: Because who doesn’t love Instagram?
via Brit + Co.
12. DIY Sharpie Gift Wrap: Sweet and sentimental.
via Sharpie Markers Official Blog
13. DIY Ceder Sprigs and Pinecones Gift Wrap: Festive!
via The Home Depot
14. DIY Love Letter Wrapping Paper: Check this out for inspiration.
via The Little Canopy
15. DIY Crossword Puzzle Gift Wrap: Write a secret message and keep them entertained. Win-win.
via Trend Hunter
16. DIY Handprint Wrapping Paper: Super cute for grandparents!!!
via Kiwi Crate
17. DIY Rustic Gift Wrap: Simple.
via Cut Craft Create
18. DIY Photo Gift Wrap: A photo says a thousand words.
via The House That Lars Built
19. Interactive Gift Wrap for Kids: You know how parents always lament that kids like the box more than the gift inside? That may be the case with this wrapping paper!
via Lines Across
20. DIY Glitter Gift Wrap: She leaves a trail of glitter wherever she goes.
via Best Day Ever