Here are 5 things to read this weekend!
1. 8 Personality Traits of People Who Don’t Let Job Hunting Crush Their Souls (FastCompany): This is a great article about the characteristics of people who are resilient during the job search process. Everyone should read this and see how they can adopt some of the characteristics mentioned.
2. The Power of No (Psychology Today): This article explores the importance of saying no and being comfortable setting boundaries. I usually believe in saying yes in my career – I am confident that I can take on the challenge, but there are times I wish I had said no. Sometimes it is better to do an excellent job on one or two projects than to be stretched too thin and doing well (but not excellent) at more things. Learning to delegate effectively also helps!
3. What Happens To Our Brain When We Exercise and How It Makes Us Happier (FastCompany): Elle Woods was right! Read this then think of it when the alarm goes off at 6:30 am and you really want to sleep for “just 5 more minutes.”
4. 9 Highly Successful People Share What They Wish They Knew In College (Business Insider): This is a great article! My two favorite pieces of advice:
“In college, just before I embarked on a career as a writer, I wish I had known that there would be no trade-off between living a well-rounded life and my ability to do good work. I wish I could go back and tell myself, in my thick Greek accent: ‘Arianna, your performance will actually improve if you can commit to not only working hard, but also unplugging, recharging, and renewing yourself.’ That would have saved me a lot of unnecessary stress, burnout, and exhaustion.” Arianna Huffington
“The advice I would have given to my college self and any young person entering the workforce today would be to always be authentic and true to yourself and your beliefs. Do not get sidetracked with advice from others that your gut tells you is wrong. By doing this, you will have the clarity of mind to always do the right thing for the business and for yourself.” Kay Krill
5. On Wednesdays We Wear Pink: 8 Marketing Secrets from Mean Girls (Likeable Media): I wrote this! It is great when what you do for work is the same or similar to what you do for fun!