It’s Earth Day! Here are a few small changes you can make to be more green! I do some of them already but want to pledge to do (almost) all of them this year. I can’t really bike or walk to work but the rest are feasible.
1. Bike or walk to work: If you live close enough to work you can bike or walk to work!
2. Only run the dishwasher or the washing machine when you have a full load: You are really lucky if you have a dishwasher and/or washing machine in NYC. I am very happy to have a dishwasher! Only run the dishwasher when it is full (my roommate taught me lots of tips for arranging dishes to maximize space). Whether you go to a laundry mat or do your laundry at home, pledge to only do your laundry when you have a full load (even if it means not wearing your favorite pair of jeans the next day.) While you are at it, switch to green detergents – I love the brand Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day.
3. Unplug: Unplug things when you aren’t using them. It saves energy and money. (Recommended Reading:12 Household Appliances You Should Unplug to Save Money) Don’t just shut it down.
4. Use reusable bags: Use reusable bags for shopping, grocery shopping, and carrying lunch to work. I love using my Lilly Pulitzer market bags. They are cute and so much easier to carry than paper or plastic bags. If you are like me, you don’t always know when you are going to end up wanting to buy something. Carry bags that you can toss in your purse. Baggu has a lot of great options! I also like this Kate Spade NY Reusable Bag. I carry my lunch in a BILT bag.
5. Use a reusable water bottle and thermos: Instead of buying plastic water bottles, switch to a reusable water bottle. I bring my BKR everywhere. It is glass so I don’t get any of the chemicals that plastic bottles have, it is good for the environment, it is small, and they donate to charity! I should start making my own coffee in the morning but I almost always end up at Starbucks. Even if I go to Starbucks, I am going to start bringing my own thermos for my grande soy latte! I want the Lilly Pulitzer Thermal Mug in First Impression!
P.S. None of these links are affiliate links. I just wanted to recommend products!