I had the pleasure of interviewing Lilly Pulitzer public relations associate, Joanna Scholtz about public relations, career advice, professional style, and life at The Pink Palace! I hope you enjoy her interview as much as I do!
1. You have what many people would consider to be a dream job. How did you end up at Lilly Pulitzer?
I studied broadcast journalism in college but took my first job in PR. From there, I worked at a few different agencies until I finally wound up at Lilly.
2. What is it like to work at Lilly Pulitzer?
A dream really. Working for a brand you’re passionate about, with people who are equally as passionate, is amazing. Never a dull moment!
3. What is your favorite thing about working at Lilly? What has been your favorite moment so far?
My favorite thing is the people here! They are innovative and passionate and they all have the same goal in mind. My favorite moment would have to be stepping into the Pink Palace for the first time.
4. You are so excellent at writing the Lilly Pulitzer brand voice. What tips do you have for copy writing, blogging, and social media?
Our social media girls are unparalleled at their craft. Choose a “voice” and stick with it. Be consistent. It will create a loyal following coming back for more!
5. Where do you see yourself in the next five years?
Career wise? Continuing to be creative and continuing to make a difference here at Lilly, of course. In life? Happy!!
6. What advice would you give to someone who is about to graduate from college and enter “the real world?”
Always say, “yes!” Say “yes” to a different city, say “yes” to learning a new task and always say “yes” to taking on more work and staying late. The more you say “yes” to every opportunity, the more you will learn and gain experience – you can say “no” when you’re CEO.
7. What is on your desk right now?
8. What advice do you have for professional style? What is your go to look? I’m guessing it is colorful and printed!
My advice would be to keep it professional, but show your personality. Everyone here pretty much wears Lilly, but for my particular job, a dress isn’t always practical. I live in our Worth Skinny in Resort White, Kirsten wedges and an Elsa top (I literally have like every bold and colorful print in this style!). Even though I get crazy stares on the subway in winter, our office looks like a Palm Beach resort… anything goes!
9. Where do you turn for inspiration?
We have a closet filled with vintage Lilly dresses, it is fun to go back there and look at the old prints and get inspired by how it all began.
10. Who is your mentor?
There is a girl I worked with at my very first job after college! I go to her for all things PR related. She really just “gets it” and always has the best advice and is very level-headed. She’s absolutely someone I look up to and it has been so great to have her as my go-to person.
11. What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
Don’t stress, you’re not saving lives! It is so true. In New York, sometimes you forget that taking care of yourself is important and your email will be there tomorrow.
12. What advice do you have for other young professional women?
It’s so cliché but I never really understood it until now – find what you are passionate about, you will never work a day in your life if you do what you love.
Here are a few pictures from Joanna’s recent work trip to Palm Beach.
P.S. If working at Lilly Pulitzer is your dream job, apply here and follow the conversation on Twitter and Instagram with #LillyDreamJob! Learn more about different departments and career paths on their blog. Still in college? Become an intern or, should I say, Pinktern!