Oh, happy day! Today is National Cookie Day! I think that this is the perfect excuse for eating cookies (not that I need an excuse… A cookie a day keeps the doctor away, right?). I could find the best cookie recipes (according to my Pinterest account there are many) but it is the holiday season and that means many of you are in NYC for holiday festivities. Here are my favorite places to stop for a “Just Out of the Oven (Just Not My Oven) Cookie.”
1. Levain Bakery: Levain Bakery’s original location is a tiny little shop in Manhattan’s Upper West Side, you might even pass right by it if it were not for the long line and mouth watering smell of freshly baked cookies! I recommend the Dark Chocolate Chocolate Chip and the Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip but you really can’t go wrong.
2. Amy’s Bread: Everything at Amy’s Bread is hand-made. Their philosophy is that people should enjoy what they do for work (a novel concept indeed) and many of the employees left their prior career paths to pursue their love of baking. I recommend the Kitchen Sink Cookie and the Double Chocolate Pecan Chubbie.
3. Birdbath: Birdbath is the famous bakery, City Bakery’s “little sister.” The bakeries are eco-friendly and everything served is organic and regionally grown. I recommend the Ginger Cookie and the Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie. P.S. Visit by bike for a discount!
4. Dean & Deluca: Dean & Deluca is a gourmet grocery store with amazing baked goods (it is also one of our favorite places to stop for hot apple cider and iced coffee.) I recommend the Chocolate Chip Cookie With Sea Salt Sprinkles (yes, it is as good as it sounds) and the Triple Chocolate Cookies.
5. Insomnia Cookies: Insomnia Cookies is not only famous for their warm gooey cookies but also for delivering until 3 am! The shop was founded, “by Seth Berkowitz in 2003 from his dorm room while attending the University of Pennsylvania. Berkowitz started baking and delivering warm cookies to students late-night on campus… and Insomnia Cookies was born.” I recommend the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup and the S’Mores Deluxe. P.S. Good friends send a text after a hard day – great friends send Insomnia Cookies (love you, Slye).
6. Van Leeuwen Artisan Ice Cream: Van Leeuwen Ice Cream is made from scratch, “using only fresh hormone and antibiotic free milk and cream, cane sugar, egg yolks and the best fruits, chocolates, spices and nuts from small producers locally and around the world.” I recommend the Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches with any choice of ice cream you choose (such as ginger, espresso and earl grey tea).
7. Eleni’s New York: If you are looking for a beautifully decorated hand-iced sugar cookie look no further. I recommend the Snowballs Ten Cents Cookies and The Big Apple Cookie Gift Set.
8. Milk & Cookies Bakery: The team at Milk & Cookies bakes cookies multiple times a day to increase the chances that visitors get a cookie fresh out of the oven. I recommend the Milk Chocolate Caramel and the Dark Chocolate Toffee but if you are feeling adventurous try the Bacon Smacks. If you are feeling really hungry get one of the ice cream sandwiches like the Overload (Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookie with Dark Chocolate Ice Cream) or the Cocoa Monster (Double Chocolate Cookie with Dark Chocolate Ice Cream).
9. William Greenberg Desserts: You can’t leave NYC without eating a Black and White Cookie and I recommend you stop at William Greenberg Desserts. The shop has been making New Yorker’s happy for over 42 years. You can buy a Black and White Cookie or, if you argue that New Yorker’s wear far too much black, you can build your own custom made cookie with your choice of colors!
Have a great National Cookie Day!