Conversational Tips I Inadvertently Learned From My 8 Year Old Cousin:
1. Don’t be afraid to go up to someone and talk to them.
2. Get excited, be exuberant, shine. Have you ever noticed how kids get excited about almost anything they are talking about? That’s a good thing. It’s so much more fun to talk to someone who is excited and happy about the discussion. Enthusiasm is contagious.
3. Jump into the conversation. Even though the adults were talking about the book The Happiness Project my cousin recognized the general topic, books, and proceeded to discuss her favorite series, Harry Potter. Don’t be afraid to contribute to the conversation.
4. Have a passion. Having something you are passionate about gives you a great topic to bring up in conversations (plus it makes life much more enjoyable!). It doesn’t matter if the other person doesn’t share the same passion. I love talking to people about what they are passionate about. See tip #2.
5. Be genuinely interested in what people are discussing. One great way to do this is by asking lots of questions.
The Preppy Post Grad